Friday, January 06, 2006
10:11:00 PM
Something for thought.
John is the kind of guy you love to hate. He is
always in a good mood and
always has something positive to say. When someone
would ask him how he was doing, he would reply, "If
I were any better, I would be twins!"
He was a natural motivator.
If an employee was having a bad day, John was there
telling the employee how to look on the positive
side of the situation.
Seeing this style really made me curious, so one day
I went up and asked him, "I don't get it!
You can't be a positive person all of the time. How
do you do it?"
He replied, "Each morning I wake up and say to
myself, you have two choices today. You can choose
to be in a good mood or ... you can choose to be in
a bad mood. I choose to be in a good mood." Each
time something bad happens, I can choose to be a
victim or...I can choose to learn from it. I choose
to learn from it.
Every time someone comes to me complaining, I can
choose to accept their complaining or... I can point
out the positive side of life. I choose the
positive side of life.
"Yeah, right, it's not that easy," I protested.
"Yes, it is," he said. "Life is all about choices.
When you cut away all the
junk, every situation is a choice. You choose how
you react to situations.
You choose how people affect your mood. You choose
to be in a good mood or bad mood. The bottom line:
It's your choice how you live your life."
I reflected on what he said. Soon hereafter, I left
the Tower Industry to start my own business. We lost
touch, but I often thought about him when I made a
choice about life instead of reacting to it. Several
years later, I heard that he was involved in a
serious accident,falling some 60 feet from a
communications tower. After 18 hours of surgery and
weeks of intensive care, he was released from the
hospital with rods placed in his back.
I saw him about six months after the accident.
When I asked him how he was, he replied, "If I were
any better, I'd be twins Wanna see my scars?"
I declined to see his wounds, but I did ask him what
had gone through his mind as the accident took
place.
"The first thing that went through my mind was the
well-being of my
soon-to-be born daughter," he replied. "Then, as I
lay on the ground, I remembered that I had two
choices: I could choose to live or...I could choose
to die. I chose to live."
"Weren't you scared? Did you lose consciousness?" I
asked
He continued, "..the paramedics were great. They
kept telling me I was going to be fine. But when
they wheeled me into the ER and I saw the
expressions on the faces of the doctors and nurses,
I got really scared. In their eyes, I read 'he's a
dead man'. I knew I needed to take action."
"What did you do?" I asked.
"Well, there was a big burly nurse shouting
questions at me," said John "She asked if I was
allergic to anything. 'Yes, I replied.' The doctors
and nurses stopped working as they waited for my
reply. I took a deep breath and yelled, 'Gravity'.
Over their laughter, I told them, "I am choosing to
live. Operate on me as if I am alive, not dead."
He lived, thanks to the skill of his doctors, but
also because of his amazing attitude... I learned from him that every
day we have the choice to live fully.
Attitude, after all, is everything.
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow
will worry about itself.
Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew
6:34.
After all today is the tomorrow you worried about
yesterday.
John is the kind of guy you love to hate. He is
always in a good mood and
always has something positive to say. When someone
would ask him how he was doing, he would reply, "If
I were any better, I would be twins!"
He was a natural motivator.
If an employee was having a bad day, John was there
telling the employee how to look on the positive
side of the situation.
Seeing this style really made me curious, so one day
I went up and asked him, "I don't get it!
You can't be a positive person all of the time. How
do you do it?"
He replied, "Each morning I wake up and say to
myself, you have two choices today. You can choose
to be in a good mood or ... you can choose to be in
a bad mood. I choose to be in a good mood." Each
time something bad happens, I can choose to be a
victim or...I can choose to learn from it. I choose
to learn from it.
Every time someone comes to me complaining, I can
choose to accept their complaining or... I can point
out the positive side of life. I choose the
positive side of life.
"Yeah, right, it's not that easy," I protested.
"Yes, it is," he said. "Life is all about choices.
When you cut away all the
junk, every situation is a choice. You choose how
you react to situations.
You choose how people affect your mood. You choose
to be in a good mood or bad mood. The bottom line:
It's your choice how you live your life."
I reflected on what he said. Soon hereafter, I left
the Tower Industry to start my own business. We lost
touch, but I often thought about him when I made a
choice about life instead of reacting to it. Several
years later, I heard that he was involved in a
serious accident,falling some 60 feet from a
communications tower. After 18 hours of surgery and
weeks of intensive care, he was released from the
hospital with rods placed in his back.
I saw him about six months after the accident.
When I asked him how he was, he replied, "If I were
any better, I'd be twins Wanna see my scars?"
I declined to see his wounds, but I did ask him what
had gone through his mind as the accident took
place.
"The first thing that went through my mind was the
well-being of my
soon-to-be born daughter," he replied. "Then, as I
lay on the ground, I remembered that I had two
choices: I could choose to live or...I could choose
to die. I chose to live."
"Weren't you scared? Did you lose consciousness?" I
asked
He continued, "..the paramedics were great. They
kept telling me I was going to be fine. But when
they wheeled me into the ER and I saw the
expressions on the faces of the doctors and nurses,
I got really scared. In their eyes, I read 'he's a
dead man'. I knew I needed to take action."
"What did you do?" I asked.
"Well, there was a big burly nurse shouting
questions at me," said John "She asked if I was
allergic to anything. 'Yes, I replied.' The doctors
and nurses stopped working as they waited for my
reply. I took a deep breath and yelled, 'Gravity'.
Over their laughter, I told them, "I am choosing to
live. Operate on me as if I am alive, not dead."
He lived, thanks to the skill of his doctors, but
also because of his amazing attitude... I learned from him that every
day we have the choice to live fully.
Attitude, after all, is everything.
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow
will worry about itself.
Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew
6:34.
After all today is the tomorrow you worried about
yesterday.
